Violent Patterns
Have pattern users adopted one of the least attractive antipatterns, "Intellectual Violence", or are patterns just being communicated badly?
For all their utility, I am finding patterns more and more of a hinderance in my day to day communications with developers, architects, project managers et al.I recently heard that a client was planning to "remove the patterns" from a solution I worked on a couple of years ago, because they didn't understand them anymore.
It seems that the communication value of patterns is being lost, and the recipient of the message hears "Pattern" and thinks "Uh Oh, this'll be a bit challenging, I don't really understand them all".
If patterns are to be used we really need to take time to make sure that everyone around us is on the same wavelength, It's no good sitting back and saying stuff like why don't we put in a "Front Controller", and hope that is enough. Most will say "OK" wether they understand or not.
The other crime I have been guilty of is going around justifying designs with phrases like "Oh, Its all patterns based, industry standard stuff, you can look it up if you like, most are in the GOF book".
Rather than using intellectual violence to show off how much cool stuff we know, surely communication and colaboration would benefit from a more humble approach. We need to take time to educate and encourage less experienced developers, to join our ranks, not put them off forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment